Monday, July 21, 2014
Sunday, July 13, 2014
This is a simple and yet profound lesson. It is easy to make your own at home. Simply find different textures in fabric that you don't use/need anymore and cut two matching squares out of each texture. Try to get at least 8 different textures.
Setup (so easy): mat and fabric boxSet all the fabric squares to the right, outside the box.
Start setting out all of the fabric squares. There will be two matching ones for each texture.
We have four columns of three different textures.
I let him feel every single texture with the same hand.
He was making comments like, "This one feels rougher than the first one." This one feels smooth."
Encourage using texture vocabulary like soft, silky, smooth, cool, rough, fragile, warm, etc.
And now for the next part. I gave him a blindfold.
He would touch and feel all three squares in one column and pick the softest from all three.
We set it apart.
Then, he picks the next smoothest.
Lastly, he is left with the roughest or least smooth of the column.
There are different way to do this activity, but as long as vocabulary is expanding and the child is learning about textures, your approach is fine.
Another activity you can do (and we did, but didn't take pictures of it) is set out 3 or 4 pairs of textures and have the child match the squares by feel (using the blindfold).
Friday, July 11, 2014
Sunday, June 29, 2014
This giveaway is now expired. :)
There will be ONE winner and that winner will get all these nine amazing prizes!
Take a look at the list of prizes below this picture.
1) Raspberry Creek Fabrics: $50 store credit
2) Hobbies from the Heart: A whole package of goodies (DIY tag set, 36 mini heart stickers, UK vintage postage, and a pair of dangle earrings)
3) Ellison Made: Your choice of a Let Him/Her Sleep Sign
4) Artful Life Designs: A set of 4-8 x 10 prints
6) Pop of Happy: Your choice of one of the 9 ft. garlands pictured
7) The Natural Homeschool: Homemade Shea Butter Lotion with drops of essential oil mixed in as an added bonus (You can contact her directly to purchase a jar of the shea butter lotion. Drops of essential oil can be added to the lotion FREE of charge with your purchase.)
8) Earth Cookie Creations: 4 ft. white fabric garland9) Bluebird Cottage Designs: A surprise pack of items from my little Etsy shop (Valued at $50)
To enter, sign in to the Rafflecopter.
"And may the odds be ever in your favor!"
a Rafflecopter giveaway