As you may know, I’ve been doing a sugar detox (day 12 out of 21, but I’m sure I’ll adopt this lifestyle permanently) and have been craving sweets regularly. Hopefully, these symptoms will subside when I starve the candida (bad yeast) that feeds off of processed sugar by not consuming it. For more, look at my post on the at-home candida overgrowth test.
I am not giving up all sugars/sweeteners, only processed/refined/white sugar. I am using natural sweeteners like fruit, raw organic honey, pure maple syrup, coconut sugar, and organic liquid stevia. Having said that, I know that since I am not giving up all sweeteners, it will probably take a little longer for the candida to starve, but it’s ok. I prefer that over an extreme right now.
Note: I waited until my daughter self-weaned to begin this detox. It is not safe to detox while pregnant or breastfeeding.
Anyway, I had yet another craving for sweets last night. So, I thought: “How can I make something yummy, healthy, and that will satisfy my craving?” Aha! This hit the spot.
– 1 cup coconut oil
– 3 tbsp unsweetened raw organic cacao
– about 6 tbsp unsweetened shredded coconut
– sliced almonds
– OPTIONAL: sweetener like coconut sugar, maple syrup, liquid stevia, or honey
– cookie sheet
– parchment paper
– Put parchment paper on top of cookie sheet to cover surface.
– Melt the coconut oil in a bowl.
– Mix in cacao and coconut.
– At this point, add sweetener of choice (just a little at a time, try it to make sure it’s not too sweet). I skipped this point, but recognize that it could’ve used a little something sweet. The raw cacao isn’t sweet.
– Pour the mix over parchment paper Swish it around slowly until it’s a thin layer.
– Sprinkle sliced almonds all over top.
– Put cookie sheet in freezer for 30 minutes.
– Get it out and it should be solid by now.
– Crack the chocolate into smaller, bite-size pieces.
– Keep in an air-tight container in the freezer.
– Enjoy. 😀