For kids, Scratch coding is the art of instructing the computer on what to do by writing codes. It consists of several simplified programming languages that are suitable for anyone who wants to begin their journey to learning how to code.
Generally, Scratch coding is used by over 40 million people across the world both old and young as one of the best introductions to programming. It is aimed at teaching children between the ages of 8 and 16 what they need to know about programming.
Due to its accessibility and capacity for creativity, schools adopt Scratch to help kids develop coding skills. However, the problem exists in trying to figure out the best way to engage your kids in coding.
In this article, we will discuss the different ways to engage your kids in Scratch coding.
Best way to teach Scratch coding to kids
Scratch coding has several beneficial skills and this is one of the reasons kids need to enjoy this coding game. Some of the ways to engage your kids in these coding games include the following;
1. Through fun activities
Did you know that your kids can learn how to code by engaging in several fun activities? With coding games like Scratch, it is time to unlock the different fun ways to code that does not include typing code. The goal is to help kids understand the basics of coding.
2. By playing with them
Another way you can involve your kids in Scratch coding activities is by playing this coding game along with them. At this point, you do not need to be a professional or coding expert before you engage your kids in Scratch coding.
You can help your kids out by exploring the game together, asking questions about the game, and letting them explain it to you. This will also help to build their excitement and willingness as they share more about the code game.
3. Avoid using force
Not every kid will find Scratch coding as interesting as the other person. However, some other similar activities and games will help your kids develop the same skills as Scratch coding will. After they must have developed these skills, you can then try to engage them again in Scratch coding to see if they enjoy it.
You can engage your kids in Scratch coding based on their age Scratch coding is accessible to kids who want to start their journey to learn how to code. If it is too difficult for the kids, they get frustrated and unwilling to learn how to code. On the other hand, if it is too simple, they will not be interested in the game.
To help salvage this issue and engage them in Scratch coding, you need to select the best coding activity for your kids from their age range. This should provide them with the best level of complexity that will keep them curious about learning.
The different age range of kids and what they should focus on learning in Scratch coding based on their capacity includes the following:
- Ages of 3-5. This is the first step in helping them develop skills in coding that they will
need throughout their lifetime. At this age, your kids should engage in programming
lessons that teach them the fundamentals of coding while encouraging them to have fun.
- Ages of 5-7. At this age, kids can start exploring the activities of Scratch coding. The
goal is to help them learn more about Scratch coding to develop the necessary skills and not just enjoy playing the game. To achieve this, you need to introduce them to the aspect of coding that involves creativity and problem-solving.
- Ages of 7-10. This is the point where your kids can start writing real code based on their
learning level. It involves intermediate coding experiences.
- Ages of 10-13. Here kids introduce themselves to more advanced coding experiences.
At this point, they can develop anything from coding animated scenes to coding games.
Benefits of Scratch coding
Benefits of Scratch Coding
1. It encourages creativity
Did you know that Scratch has several applications designed to encourage creativity and expression? Now kids can design, build and share projects while having fun. Teachers and guardians can also use Scratch to encourage their kids to take up new projects that will help develop the necessary coding skills they will need.
2. It helps to develop problem-solving skills
The beautiful thing about Scratch coding is it is designed to help kids even as they begin their journey to learning to code. It gives room for trial and error while encouraging kids to do more. Unlike other programming languages, Scratch does not have any formal rule or text command.
Their ability to develop these problem-solving skills will give them something to hold unto even as they gain mastery. It is also used as a better foundation for courses like math and science.
3. It gives room for simplicity and accessibility
Scratch coding is made in a way that makes it simple and ideal for kids in all age ranges to learn how to code. It is also made of several features that encourage accessibility. Scratch coding is made with exceptional visual text commands on the screen which makes it easier for kids to identify the particular code, to begin with.
It also uses visual hints to give instructions on how the commands can work together in making coding easier. Scratch coding uses the drag-and-drop interface which kids are familiar with and this encourages kids to keep trying for a longer period which results in fewer coding messages error.
4. It helps in career development
Today, coding is the foundation of different careers in computer science like data analysis, etc.
It is therefore advisable that kids start early to develop the necessary skills for these lucrative
and respected professions.
Whether your kids have an interest in coding or not, the above kids can help you engage them
in Scratch-citing activities. There are several options available to kids of all age ranges. Take
that bold step today and engage your kids in Scratch coding.
- 5 Benefits of Children Learning a Musical InstrumentChildren learning a musical instrument can help foster confidence in kids of all backgrounds and ages, allowing them to explore different aspects of self-expression as they progress through their studies.
- 10 Tips for Homeschooling With a New BabyIn this blog post, we will discuss 10 tips for homeschooling with a new baby.
- Simple Habits To Teach Your Kids For A Healthy LifeHere are a few easy habits you can teach your children to live their lives with good, healthy habits.
- Our Favorite Farm Animals ActivitiesCome read about our favorite farm animals! Do you have a favorite farm animal? Have you ever been on a farm? We were blessed last year with the opportunity to move onto my sister’s farm in Tennessee. We’ve learned a tremendous amount about farm life in the year since our…
- Organize your Homeschool with this Free Printable 2023 CalendarWhether you have young children or all the way in high school, you CAN organize your homeschool with the right resources like this printable calendar.