We had such an amazing time with two programs from Health World Education and I am very excited to share the fun with you! I received Clean Machine (to learn about overall health and preventative steps to stay healthy) and Safety Smart (to learn about fire safety). I hope you enjoy this journey with us.
Who is Health World Education?
Health World Inc, (HW) is a non-profit organization dedicated to supporting and promoting a comprehensive curriculum for health and safety education.
Their mission is to
To promote health and safety education by providing children with the information they need to build healthy lives. Health World supports its mission by:
- Advancing and developing a comprehensive health education curriculum
- Providing schools with access to health and safety education programs, curriculum and resources using methodologies that demonstrate most current and future trends for education
- Being a resource to educators, school districts and state boards of education
What programs did I receive?
I received five: All About Me, Clean Machine, Getting Along with Others, MyPlate MyBody, and Safety Smart®: About Fire. I looked over all of them and they all were amazingly thorough. The reason why I picked Clean Machine and Safety Smart®: About Fire to review is because both lessons were for children Kindergarten ages and up. The other three were made for older children. Even though all 5 programs looked great, I felt that I could better review programs that I would explore with my children (who are in the Kindergarten age range). So, here we go!
Program #1: Clean Machine
Learn about Germs and How to Stay Healthy
- We watched a video explaining about germs and ways that we can prevent getting sick and/or transmitting sickness to others. They discussed things like sneezing and coughing into our elbow, washing hands, not touching eyes, nose and mouth, etc.
- They had a list of so many printables that went with the lessons/discussions (also printable). I chose to use the chart where we discuss the steps to washing our hands the right way. Both my children could participate because it involved drawing pictures of the process.
- Then we did one of their suggested activities: putting lotion all over our hands and then glitter to signify germs. Everything they touched would leave traces of glitter behind, but surprisingly to them, when they rinsed their hands off with just water, the glitter didn’t fall off! But then, when they used soap, the glitter was gone!
- In our home, we use a hand-washing and teeth-brushing timer (you can see it in the picture on the right). It has a green light that blinks faster and faster until it turns red. You scrub hands with soap until the light turns red; then it is time to rinse. We had a lot of fun and could se how the lightbulbs definitely went off in their heads about hand-washing the right way.
- Our next activity was making “mucus” (slime). We followed the instructions on how to make it. I added glitter to the “mucus” to signify how it traps germs instead of the germs going into our bodies through our nose. The interesting and very important lesson came when they touched the “mucus” and the glitter (germs ) got all over their hands. Aha! Tat is why we don’t pick our noses! We loved this activity.
- There were several other printables, worksheets and projects that we did to reinforce this lesson. This program was fun, engaging and very educational. Later that day, my little one told me, “I have buggers, mom. Can you help me wipe them? I don’t want to touch them!” She got it!
Program #2: Safety Smart
Learn about Preventing Fires and What to do in Case of a Fire
- Our first activity was to watch a video that explained so much about preventing fires and what to do in case of a fire. Their information was accurate, up-to-date and very easy to understand, even for my little ones. Why? Health World partnered up with Disney and they created this video using two very famous characters to explain all the information.
- I found this lesson to also be very thorough. It covered so much, but not in an overwhelming sense. Since we homeschool, I kept in mind that we could break up the program into multiple lessons, but even my children (3 and 5 years old) were able to do most of it in one day. This program comes with a set of printables with discussion pointers, vocabulary and activity instructions for the teachers/moms and many printables/worksheets for the students/children.
- Among other things, we learned how to prevent fires, how to check fire alarms weekly, how to create to escape routes in case of a fire, where our meeting point is, how to feel doors to see if there is fire on the other side and vocabulary terms. We completed the rest of this program at our meeting point in case of a fire: a lovely little park across the street. I loved it that they even gave us a printable for a certificate of completion! How fun is that?!
My Honest Opinion
I am honestly impressed with this company. When they approached me to review their products, I immediately went to research them and was excited to work with them. I am glad we accepted their products! We learned so much and even now, weeks later, they still mention the germs (glitter) and make sure they wash their hands properly.
I am very happy as a mom that there are programs like these for our homeschool and I am excited as a teacher because these programs would also be perfect for any school classroom. Even though we didn’t do the other 3 programs that were given to us because they were for older children, I did take a look at the material and I am comfortable saying that I recommend all 5 of the Health World Education‘s programs mentioned at the beginning of this post.
I hope you decide to give Health World Education a try. They truly are a great company. Thank you for trusting my recommendations. I appreciate you!