Small kids are often full of energy and sometimes, you may even feel as though their batteries never run out. That being said, they are often prone to being overstimulated, anxious and overwhelmed. Sometimes all they need is a simple change of pace or activities that calm their nerves.
You can encourage activities such as them breathing slowly, closing their eyes or even doing yoga, but at the end of the day, things like this aren’t suited to every child. You need to make sure that you are providing them with things they love, so that relaxation isn’t seen as a chore, but as a way to have fun in a calm environment.
One of the best ways for you to encourage your kids to be calm would be for you to give them some playdough to mess around with. Playdough is a wonderful substance and kids can play with it for hours on end. Squeezing and moulding is one of the best ways for you to help them relieve tension and it calms their mind too.
Don’t have any playdough lying around? Then why not get some slime? Slime is easy to make with basic ingredients that you may have lying around the house and it is one of the best ways for you to keep your kids amused. Getting them involved with making it is also a good idea. You can actually relax them by giving them the recipe list to work with and by adding your own food colouring, you can be sure to give them an enjoyable activity.
Playing with sand is one of the most calming activities if you want to keep your kids entertained. You can help your kids to relieve a lot of anxiety this way and you can also do it outside. Sand play allows your kids to be creative and you may even find that it is the best way for you to give them freedom over what they make. If you aren’t sure how to give your sand without them getting it everywhere then you can get kinetic sand products. Your kids can make anything they want with products such as this and you would be surprised at how easy it is to clean up.
Water play is just as popular with younger kids as sand play. There is a very good reason for this too. Playing with water can be therapeutic and it is a fantastic way for you to keep your kids entertained. While this activity can easily get kids hyped up, if you use it in a certain way, it can have the opposite effect. Don’t set up your sprinkler with ten kids splashing around, and instead, set up a small trough so your kids can play alone or in a calm group. This is a great way for you to encourage them to be as independent as possible.
Creating a sensory station is also a great way for you to keep your kids entertained. You can set up a station with just about anything they like. You can have some wooden tubes with beads or you can put some coloured rice in a clear container for them to rattle around. It’s very easy for you to create something like this at home and you don’t need to make it overly complicated or time-consuming. Simply focus on what your kids love and then go from there.
Listen to a Story or Watch a Movie
Why not sit with your kids and watch a movie as a family? You can find top picks for Easter movies online, or you can try reading to them. Reading to children is one of the biggest gifts that you can give them. There are a lot of reasons for this as well. Reading a story is one of the best ways for you to calm your kids down and it also provides them with a very good bonding experience. If you want to make the activity calming then you can ask them to lie down and close their eyes, while you read out to them.
This is a great way for you to help them to immerse themselves in the story and you may even find that it helps them to unwind that little bit more as well which is great. If you want to take things to that next level then one thing you can do is set up a reading corner for them. This is a great feature to have within your home and children find it calming, being able to sit in a small corner and flick through a page. The trick is for you to make it as comfortable as possible, so add bean bags and some cushions to keep them at ease.
You may also like:
- Awesome List of Sensory Play ~ Edible Recipes for Playdough & Slime
- The Best List of Edible Playdough Recipes
- Homemade Playdough Recipe
- Playdough Alphabet Games for Fine Motor Skills
- The Most Awesome Free Printable Christmas Playdough Mats
- 6 Things to Ensure After Writing Your BookBelow in this article, we will go into detail on multiple things that need to be done once your book has been completed to make sure it is a success.
- How to Foster a Positive Learning Environment for Your Child at HomeHere, we provide some practical tips that may assist parents as they assist their child’s educational experience at home.
- The Best Homeschool Reading Comprehension CurriculumIn this post, I am going to show you what is, in my humble opinion, the best homeschool reading comprehension curriculum and why.
- Ensuring Online Video Game Safety for ChildrenOnline video game safety for children is an ongoing process. And danger lurks behind every click of the mouse.
- Planning For Your Financial Future As A Parent Can Be Super ToughPlanning your financial future can be super tough when you are a parent. You might be trying to make plans only for them to go completely wrong, or for something to step in and make you rethink the entire plan.
Leave a Reply