Making cootie catchers was so much fun growing up. It was such a “thing” to put together on your own and then play it with friends.
In this post, I will guide you through the process of making a cootie catcher tutorial or, as others call it, origami fortune tellers.
As you read through the instructions and watch the video, you will realize that the more you and your kids practice, the easier they will get.
I will point out some clues to remind you on how to fold the different pieces to make them work perfectly.
Cootie Catcher Tutorial
Here are the step by step setup instructions for putting together a cootie catcher. All you need is paper and scissors.
- Print out your cootie catcher on one sheet of paper.
- Sit down facing the table.
- If it is blank, decorate it. If it is filled in already, you can color it, too.
- Cut out the outside outline so instead of a rectangle, you will have a square.
- Turn the square over so the written side is facing down and you see the blank side.
- Place the square in front of you on a flat surface.
- Fold the bottom left corner up to reach the top right corner, forming a triangle.
- Open it up to have a square again.
- Now, fold the opposite sides on each other to make an opposite triangle.
- Open back up. You should now see 2 creases, like an X.
- Move the square around so now it is a diamond (one point by your belly button).
- That bottom point will now be folded to the middle of the square, where both X creases touch. You will now see some of the writing folded over.
- Turn the square so a point is pointing toward your belly button and fold to the middle also. Crease well.
- Do the same with the 2 remaining points. At the end, you will have a smaller square in front of you.
- FLIP the paper in the shape of a small square over to the other side. So now, you won’t see the large numbers on the top.
- Do the same as you did with all the 4 points. Turn your small square until one point it down toward your belly button and fold it to the middle. Crease.
- Turn the small square over again so another point is down and fold that over to the middle.
- Do the same with the remaining 2 points. Now, you will have an even smaller square left.
- Make sure all of the sides are creased well.
- Fold the square in half so you will have a thin rectangle. You should see 2 large numbers on the top and 2 large numbers on the bottom.
- Unfold the square and now fold it the other way to make a rectangle and crease well.
- Now, open the small square again and slowly pry the flaps with the large numbers up so the parts where the fingers go are revealed.
- Start moving the flaps until your thumbs and 2 fingers fit inside the large number flaps.
- Bring all 4 number corners together to resemble a paper flower.
- Now you are ready to play!
Cootie Catcher Video Tutorial
How to Play Cootie Catcher
There are several ways to play. Here’s one.
- Put your fingers in the number flaps.
- Ask a friend to pick a number on the cootie catcher.
- Move the cootie catcher side to side with your fingers the same number of times as the number they picked.
- Hold the cootie catcher in the position that you stopped counting at.
- Now, ask your friend to pick another number.
- Count out the number as you move the cootie catcher side to side with your fingers the same number of times as the number they picked.
- Place your finger on the flap the number ended at.
- Read the message and flip the flap open.
- Read the fortune inside the flap.
- Laugh. Repeat.
Here are some of our fun printable bundles that include cootie catchers:
14 Printable Homeschool Summer Activities
$14.00Add to cart
Books of the Bible Worksheets ~ Old Testament Printable Set
$7.50Add to cart
Books of the Bible Worksheets ~ New Testament Printable Set
$7.50Add to cart
Books of the Bible Worksheets ~ Old & New Testament Printable Bundle
$15.00Add to cart
Cootie Catcher free printables online
Now, it’s your turn to make one! To get this free cootie catcher printable download, simply enter your name and email below and then check your inbox for the PDF file.
Save it for later use or print it right away! Enjoy!
Thank you for checking out our cootie catcher tutorial post! You might also like: