We love The Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric Carle! In this post, we will share with you a cute lesson I had with my daughter where we practiced the days of the week and food with The Very Hungry Caterpillar. She really enjoyed it and so did I! With this lesson, you will get The Very Hungry Caterpillar free printables to put everything together for this lesson.
The Very Hungry Caterpillar Books
Our lesson is based on the first book on the list, but I am also sharing some cute ones as well.
The Very Hungry Caterpillar Printable
Let’s get started with the setup!
- 25 popsicle sticks
- glue stick
- 1 egg carton for 2 dozen eggs
- hole punch
- The Very Hungry Caterpillar book by Eric Carle
- On the egg carton (upside down), use one scissors blade to poke a straight hole on each “bump” (see picture above).
- Download and print The Very Hungry Caterpillar food printables (in this post).
- Cut them out and use a hole punch to punch a hole on each food items (the leaf needs 4 holes in a row).
- Have your child color the caterpillar.
- Glue each day of the week on a separate popsicle stick.
- Glue food items as you see fit. I preferred to glue 1-3 items per stick (see picture below).
- Let all of the food and days of the week dry completely.
The Very Hungry Caterpillar Lesson
Let’s start the days of the week and food very hungry caterpillar lesson! As we read the book, we were following the order of the days and the food items. For the first row, see what we did below, but you and your child can arrange the items as you would like. She really enjoyed practicing the order of the days of the week.
She also noticed on her own that Monday through Friday showed that he ate 1-5 items. Then she was shocked that not only did he eat 10 items, but they were all junk food! So that guided us into a conversation on how he started with healthier choices (fruit) and then moved onto less healthier foods when Saturday rolled around. But he redeemed himself with him eating a leaf on Sunday! 🙂
Now, when it comes to the very hungry caterpillar foods, she learned several new words, like salami and sausage. It was fun spelling the food names out in the book. Overall, she learned so much with this wonderful book and a great story. Her favorite part, was, of course, when he turns into a beautiful butterfly.
And now, it is your turn! Simply enter your email below and it will be sent directly to your inbox for an easy download. Enjoy!
The Very Hungry Caterpillar Toys
Here are some more wonderful resources to complement this craft/lesson.
The World of Eric Carle The Very HungryWorld of Eric Carle, Very Hungry Caterpillar PlushThe World of Eric Carle(TM) The Very HungryThe World of Eric Carle(TM) The Very HungryThe Very Hungry Caterpillar Magnetic Wood Puzzle JigsawKids Preferred World of Eric Carle, The Very
Thank you for visiting our Days of the Week and Food with The Very Hungry Caterpillar post!
You might also like: