Here is an awesome Science lesson on the anatomy of the human body!
This time, we will be looking at some fun activities and printables about the Skeletal System for kids to learn more about what holds their body up!
The Skeletal System in the human body system that protects internal organs, keep our bodies upright and also makes red blood cells, which we need to live.
Come take a look at what we learned and don’t forget to get the free printable worksheets!
Books on the Skeletal System for Kids
What does skeletal system do? You can go more in-depth on the skeletal system functions using some of these wonderful nonfiction books:
Your Skeletal System (Searchlight Books ™ — How Does Your Body Work?)The Mighty Muscular and Skeletal Systems: How Do My Muscles and Bones Work? (Slim Goodbody’s Body Buddies)Bones: Our Skeletal SystemYour Skeletal System Works! (Your Body Systems)
Light Table Activities ~ Skeletal Human Body System for Kids
There are many fascinating Science activities for kids and using a light table is toward the top of the list.
You can use one to study about the human body systems for kids, especially the skeletal system because you can use x-rays on it!
Do you know the list of human body systems? Take a look at this whole unit!
The Human Body System Series Bundle
This Human Body Systems (endocrine, nervous, digestive, circulatory – with parts of the heart and blood cells, muscular, skeletal and respiratory) bundle includes:
- Human Body Systems 3-Part Cards
- Human Anatomy Systems Learning Card Set
- Body Systems Cursive Handwriting Page
- Manuscript Handwriting Page
- 4 Pages of Anatomy-related Cutting Practice and Project (for Fine Motor Skills)
- Body Systems Mini Posters and Fill-out Cards
- 2 Anatomy Wheel Crafts
- Human Body Systems Word Search
This digital download is 42 pages long.
Montessori at Home Basic Skeletal System Parts Craft
For this craft, all you need is: one sheet of construction paper, scissors, glue, one cotton ball and 5 straws!
For a more realistic look, then add a few extra ribs (you will need a few more straws for them).
- Cut 2 straws into 4 pieces (for a total of 8 pieces for the ribs).
- Cut 1 straw into half. Keep one half as is (for the neck and vertebral column) and the other half gets cut into 4 smaller pieces. These are for the 2 smaller ribs at the bottom and the feet.
- Cut 2 straws into 4 pieces each. These are for the upper arms, the forearms, the thighs and the lower legs.
- Now, start by gluing the cotton ball (the skull) on the top part of the construction paper.
- Then glue the neck and vertebral column straw piece down the skull. Then glue 4 ribs on either side of the vertebral column and the 2 smaller ribs at the bottom.
- Next, glue two pieces for each leg diagonal below the ribs.
- Then, glue the feet horizontally.
- Finally, the arms (2 pieces for each arm).
- Optional: use a permanent marker or a q-tip and black paint to make a skull face on the bottom ball. We left it blank to make it not scary, if you know what I mean.
The Skeletal System Labeled
If you want to make another craft, here is a fun one a friend made to label the skeleton.
Just the main parts with a toy skeleton, but it is fun and it makes it easier for kids to learn the names of the parts of the human skeleton.
Skeleton Human Model Skull Full Body Mini Figure ToyUpBrands 48 Pack Stretchy Skeleton 4 inches Bulk Set 9 Glitter ColorsCurious Minds Busy Bags Bulk 12 Stretchy SkeletonsSkeleton Garland – Halloween Decoration
Homeschool Printables Skeletal System Diagram Set
And now, it is time to get some free skeleton worksheets!
You will get 4 levels of activities. You can work on one at a time or do all four in one lesson.
I found that, in our case, we could do one level per week, to get us a bit more acquainted with the human skeletal system!
Thanks for reading our Anatomy of the Human Body ~ The Skeletal System for Kids Activities & Printables post! You might also like:
Work with Me! Personalized Coaching Sessions (Montessori & Homeschool)
Do you need homeschool or Montessori at home coaching?
We customize a package that will help YOU the most, but this is our most popular package:
Take advantage of my 15 years of experience in the Montessori philosophy and 10 years of homeschooling.
1 A 30-minute video (or phone) call via Zoom for a 100% personalized “in-person” coaching
It will be recorded and the link will be sent via email within 24 hours for further review.
Once you purchase the coaching session HERE, I will contact you to set up a time that works for both of us.
2 An email prior to coaching call detailing what questions, concerns, issues need to be addressed.
This helps with maximizing face-to-face time for actual practical implementation tips.
3 Any prior recommendations from my online shop (ebooks, etc,) are included
4 A follow-up email within 24 hours of the video call, detailing what was discussed, steps to take, any additional recommendations from my online shop (again, also included in the package).
5 A second follow-up email/contact 1-2 weeks after the video coaching call to see how client is progressing and to see if another video call needs to be scheduled